Weather Forecast


Police: Man arrested after shoplifting, running from officers

Bismarck advances to state soccer semifinals with 3-2 win over Central

Bismarck's Michael Matthews and Grand Forks Central's Wyatt Peterson go for the ball during the ND State Soccer Tournament at Cushman Field in Grand Forks. Eric Hylden / Forum News Service1 / 3
Grand Forks Central players (L-R) Sylver Osodo, Lucas Kanta, Jackson Macho and Kyler Briske celebrate Kanta's goal against Bismarck High during the ND State Soccer Tournament at Cushman Field in Grand Forks. Eric Hylden / Forum News Service2 / 3
Bismarck High players Mason Stotz, left, and Michael Matthews celebrate a Demons goal against Grand Forks Central in the ND State Soccer Tournament at Cushman Field in Grand Forks. Eric Hylden / Forum News Service3 / 3

GRAND FORKS — Grand Forks Central's bid for its first boys state soccer championship ended Thursday, Oct. 11, in overtime.

The Knights dropped a 3-2 decision to Bismarck High in the quarterfinals of the North Dakota boys high school soccer tournament at Cushman Field.

Michael Matthews took a long pass from Caden Evanson and scored the game-winner for the Demons with 42 seconds left in the first overtime.

"Caden played (Matthews) an unbelievable ball,'' Bismarck coach Andy Foss said. "He's been trying that pass all season and hasn't connected. It was a good time for it to work. And Mike played a good ball over the goalie.''

Central forced overtime with 10:12 left in regulation. William Lawson-Body scored his 12th goal of the season from close range, tying the score at 2-2. "He was just crashing the net,'' Central coach George DuBois said. "I thought he caused some chaos.

"The second half and early in the overtime, I thought we assered ourselves more, generating more scoring opportunities.''

Bismarck goalie Easton Ford had three saves in the final two minutes of regulation to keep Bismarck alive.

Central had taken an early lead on a successful corner kick 11:07 into the game. Sylver Osodo rolled the corner kick towards the net, where Lucas Kanta ran to the ball and scored from the side of the net for his second goal of the season.

But Bismarck leading scorer Mason Stoltz had a hand in a pair of goals to put the Demons ahead 2-1 at halftime.

Bismarck pulled even at 1-1 when Stoltz dribbled in from the side buried a shot at the 14:38 mark for his 13th score of the season.

Matthews gave the Demons a 2-1 lead at the 20:26 mark when he broke for the net, took a nice pass from Stotz and scored.

Bismarck, the No. 2 seed from the West Region, improved to 11-3-2 and will play Fargo Davies in a 4:30 p.m. semifinal game Friday.

Central, the No. 3 seed from the East Region, dropped to 10-6-1 and will play Mandan in a loser-out game at noon today.